Sponsored links

Go Back   Sat Industry Forums > Dreambox > Applications Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006

Albaraha is on a distinguished road
Re: Mounting a Dreambox to Win XP sp2 (no hdd in dream)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader
I am trying to do the same in a dreambox 500. I have been fighting this for quite a spell. What I have done so far windows xp pro, Created user: Dream, Password dream, Shared folder on D:\ Dreambox with sub folder movie. checked all boxes in permissions, disabled simple file sharing, Dreambox mount manager: Host IP 192.168.0.155 CIFS Dir: Dreambox Local Dir: /hdd Options: rw,soft, nolock User: Dream Pass: dream Automount Checked Error Message CFIS mount " /hdd Failed. Using the Pi_dm500_USA img. Any Ideas on the problem. Thanks
Are you sure that you set the Share Permissions to be Full Control for the Dream user?
BTW, what's the Share name in your Win XP?
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2006

MaxGen is on a distinguished road

From what I recall, Pi2 on the DB 500 requires you to mount to /mnt/nfs, not /hdd

also, try making everything in lowercase, for example, make the share "dreambox", not "Dreambox". also, keep the usernames in lowercase as well.

MaxGen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader
I am trying to do the same in a dreambox 500. I have been fighting this for quite a spell. What I have done so far windows xp pro, Created user: Dream, Password dream, Shared folder on D:\ Dreambox with sub folder movie. checked all boxes in permissions, disabled simple file sharing, Dreambox mount manager: Host IP 192.168.0.155 CIFS Dir: Dreambox Local Dir: /hdd Options: rw,soft, nolock User: Dream Pass: dream Automount Checked Error Message CFIS mount "192.168.0.15/Dreambox /hdd Failed. Using the Pi_dm500_USA img. Any Ideas on the problem. Thanks
Old 02-09-2006

johnmcmillan59 is on a distinguished road

Like most of you I've been struggling with this for some time. I've got it working on Server 2003 but not on WinXP. I can stream to and from the server, both individually and at the same time. I can play back .vob .mpg and .ts files. I've changed the Dreambox image several times and it doesn't seem to matter what version is being used. No plugins are required on the dreambox it works OK on the basic dreambox image. The fact that Server 2003 will allow this and XP will not suggests that something is missing from XP, exactly what I don't know.

Server 2003 is an expensive piece of software, but 6 month trial versions are available on Ebay for around �5. The down side of this is that you need to reload the server every 6 months. The server is also running SFU 3.5 (NFS), a free download from Microsoft. It's easy to setup (easy to say), I will provide instructions if necessary. Perhaps the more software orientated members of the forum can work out how to get it running on XP from this, I've tried but failed. SFU setup is identical on both. I think it's worth doing, it's stable and reliable and allows you to get away with not having a noisy hard drive in the Dreambox, and it can be shared with a second dreambox.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf How To NFS_FlashWizard eng.pdf (863.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by johnmcmillan59 : 03-22-2006 at 05:41 AM. Reason: adding attachment
Old 10-03-2006

dasonix is on a distinguished road

im getting 2 errors, first off I cant seem to get the shared folder out of read-only mode in xphome and second problem is this

mount -t cifs -o user=dream,password=******//192.168.1.102/dreamshare /hdd
Can't find /hdd in /etc/fstab
~ > mount -t cifs -o user=dream,password=*****//192.168.1.102/dreamshare /mnt
Can't find /mnt in /etc/fstab

Any ideas pls as its driveing me nuts.

the fstab file is empty by the way

ty
Old 10-03-2006

MaxGen is on a distinguished road

Here are some ideas for getting out of simple file sharing mode in XP

Method 1
Booting the computer in safe mode will reveal that Windows XP Home does indeed still function on traditional NTFS security. In safe mode, right-clicking on a file/folder and choosing Sharing and Security will display the properties sheet for the file/folder, but you will also notice that the Security tab is now present as well. While this method will work, it is not recommended since any security changes made in Normal mode will overwrite the changes that have been made in safe mode.

Method 2
The second method for accessing NTFS security in Windows XP Home is through the CACLS.EXE utility. This utility comes with XP Home and is used for changing the Access Control Lists (ACLs), which are used by Windows to keep track of user permissions/security. Type CACLS /? at the prompt for more information on using this utility. This is the method I have chosen to include in the guide.

Method 3
This is the long term method of choice for setting user security permissions in Windows XP Home via the GUI. It is very easy to install and will bring back the Security tab in Normal mode.

1.) Download the NT 4 Security Configuration Manager from .
2.) Run the scesp4i.exe file and extract all files to a temporary directory.
3.) Right-click on the setup.inf file and choose the install option.
4.) Answer no if asked to overwrite essent.dll.

Here's a link to a great site on setting NTFS permissions in XP Home:
Old 2 Weeks Ago

DJBEATER is on a distinguished road

thanks for yes it's OK now... but without password failed... then i set password and all power goes to dreambox from my pc...